Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ratings. Better than nothing.

OK. So I thought that I'd start rating movies that I've seen on a simple 5 star scale. That way, when I don't take the time to actually write a review of a film, at least some information will be displayed here. Hopefully it encourages some of you to share you're thoughts/ratings too.

Also, it would be fun to have another movie night sometime soon. (Especially with the Holiday Upgrades made to the basement at 581.) Stay tuned.

Also also, because the OCD part of me likes to list/order things, I'll be working on my Rankings-of-Movies-Released-in-2007-[That-I-Saw] list in the next couple weeks. At last count, there are more movies that I want to see than I have seen in '07, but I'll try my hardest to rectify that as the awards season comes into full swing.

So without further ado: Movies I've seen semi-recently...
No Country for Old Men ****1/2
I loved it, and was going to write up something about it, but what I wanted to write about would probably spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it. So see it!
Michael Clayton ****
Like No Country, one of the few movies that lived up to the hype. In any year that's saying something, and this year especially because of all the great stuff that came out.
The Darjeeling Limited ****
Probably only scores so high because the wife and I are such Wes Anderson fans, but really an entertaining movie. (An interesting suggestion about how to see Wes' films: Each of his movies could be taking place simultaneously in an alternate Wes universe. Each story opens a portal into which we get to see these highly stylized, quirky, character-comedies. But I guess if you don't dig it, you don't...
Juno ****
Like in Knocked Up, the scenarios, characters, and dialog are often completely over-the-top, but still manage to convey some really truthful ideas. More specific to Juno is the great writing that's so consistent without being predictable, and persistently witty. We laughed through half the jokes at our showing.
The Mist *** (But barely.)
The more I let go (in terms of plot, etc) and freely interacted with the movie, the more I enjoyed it. Classic King ending. (Good or bad is up to you.)
Eastern Promises **1/2
I was mostly underwhelmed and didn't really get into the story or its characters. But I guess I didn't exactly see the end coming either... meh.
3:10 to Yuma ***
Pretty entertaining western remake. But why didn't he just get on that damn train at the end!!! (Parts of the story bothered me when I should just been happy watching the gun battles. :)
Dan in Real Life ***
Cute, nice and fun. And I mostly forgot that I was watching Steve Carrel and Dane Cook. Which is impressive.

Want to see:
There Will Be Blood, Once, Into the Wild, I'm Not There, Atonement, I am Legend, Superbad...

No comments: